What a year it’s been my fellow stitchers. After an action-packed first half of 2011 (I got married which is more than enough action for anyone, trust me!) I started this blog back in July with no idea as to whether I’d keep it up, or whether anyone would even be remotely interested in my witterings on re-learning to sew and the projects I’d work on. It’s been a total eye-opener, a huge learning curve and a downright chuckle too. But enough of the cliches. Here’s what I made this year:
- Three skirts – my first attempt at a Colette sewing pattern resulted in two beignets – one light denim and one corduroy. I know there will be more of these. A dark denim (just like yours Jane!) and perhaps a lighter linen-style one might be on the cards.
- Four tops including one blouse and three copies of an existing Warehouse top, one of which included a self-drafted peter pan collar.
- Five dresses: Two McCalls 2401s here and here, one Peony, one Simplicity 3835 and one HP 1090.
- Miscellaneous bits and bobs: A bag, a brooch, a seat cushion, a patchwork quilt, a patchwork cushion, an apron and a pair of pyjamas.
Phew. I seriously am astonished at how much I’ve got through🙂 This is what I wrote in my first blog post:
“I want to get good at sewing. I want to improve on my very basic skills and be able to approach a new project with a good dose of confidence. I want to make cute buttonholes, sexy zips… I want to set sleeves dammit. I want to make trousers! Yes! Trousers!”
Trousers aside, I’m so SO incredibly delighted and I can’t wait for 2012. However I do know that I need to work on my techniques, finishing garments correctly, not taking shortcuts, reading pattern instructions BEFORE I start, reading them properly DURING the process, etc etc… basically all that fundamental stuff you guys do so well…
Here are the projects to help:
2012 sewing plans:
- Having recently discovered Victory patterns I’m going to try out the Hazel dress. It’s too cute for words… so just look at the pics and I’ll shuttup…
- The love affair with Colette continues. In 2012 I’ll be trying my hand at the Violet, the Ginger and the Negroni, as well as all those patterns from the Colette Sewing Handbook when time allows. Plus I’ll probably revisit the Peony.
- My first sewalong with Sewaholic will commence in January with the Minoru jacket (as long as I get the right fabric in time)
- I have yet to make New Look 6000 for Scruffy Badger’s fest but that’s something I’ll turn my attention to between Xmas and New Year – the perfect January dress.
- I have a bunch of vintage patterns I want to do, including this adorable Simplicity 7845 (middle view and also a Scruffy Badger steal) and this Le-Roy 3133 (view A).
- I’d like to make some trousers: Specifically a pair with a high waist and a pair of pedal pushers.
- I’d like to make a frothy romantic summer dress, gauzy and light with chiffon and satin and lace and something else gauzy and light but I don’t know my fabrics well enough to say what it is.
- I’d like to get to know my fabrics better.
- I’d like to get to know my body better and perhaps make a sloper or two that’s a perfect fit for me.
- I’d like to draft an item all by myself using my new sloper.
- I’d like to get into Pinterest a bit more. I signed up but haven’t really used it so much yet.
- I’d like to really sort out my sewing room so it feels less like a cupboard I struggle to keep the cats out of and more like somewhere to dream/create/get inspired. (Who am I kidding – it’ll still be a mess and the cats will still get in…)
Lastly but most importantly, I’d like to meet (in person) some of you AMAZING women that have made this last six months such a fantastic time. You are all awesome. Here’s to you <pops cork, clinks glasses>. Have a blooming lovely Chrimbo and a very debaucherous NY. See you on the other side. Joanne xxx