Completed project: Nightie night

Just a quick one – am sure most of us are in the same boat, waiting for Downton Abbey to begin. But I wanted to share that I have in fact been doing some sewing this weekend and haven’t given myself up to the crochet hook completely.

I finished my semi-self-drafted nightie yesterday, using the neck yoke from New Look 6864 and copying the general structure of a nightie I’d previously bought from Zara home. I used the swiss dot I picked up in Walthamstow market and some pretty floral cotton from my stash.

Nighty nightI was a bit distracted yesterday when I was finishing the neckline and managed to inadvertently sew wrong side to right side, then had graded the seams before I realised my mistake. D’oh! Cue lots of dark mutterings while I got the trusty seam ripper out. So as you can see from the photo – the yoke is a wee bit of a mess and not very symmetric but I can live with it.

Inside I used french seams to enclose the raw edges and faced the arm holes with some pretty bias binding. The overall effect might be a little Cath Kidston for my liking but hey – tis nightwear. At the rate I toss and turn, it’ll be rucked up under my armpits before I nod off.

French seams and bias binding

French seams and bias binding

In fact I may go and slip it on now before Downton starts, slice myself a huge chunk of carrot cake and settle down with the cats for the opening credits. Sweet dreams!